Steve is Professor of Global Health and Preventive Medicine, Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, and has a secondary appointment as Professor of Surgery. He is Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and licensed in medicine and surgery in the District of Columbia. He served in the United States Air Force for over 30 years.
His education background includes:
- University: MIT, bachelor’s in microbiology
- Graduate School: Univ California, Berkeley, doctor of optometry (O.D.) and simultaneous master of physiological optics (MS)
- Medical School: USUHS
- Internship: General Surgery, Keesler USAF Medical Center
- Residency: Ophthalmology, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center
- Fellowship: Cornea and External Disease, Harvard (Mass. Eye & Ear Infirmary)
His honors and awards include:
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award (scientific presentations and committee service)
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Diploma in Medical Care of Catastrophes with distinction, Society of Apothecaries (U.K.)
- Keynote Speaker (selected by graduates), Preventive Medicine and Biometrics graduation
Dr. Waller is a frequent speaker both in the United States and abroad. He also has a extensive portfolio of publication.
He joined the Board of GCSF in 2015.